Many people ask about the name “1723”. The vineyard was part of the original New London Township, before current day Franklin Township was split off. New London Township was chartered in 1723, hence the naming of the vineyard. In fact, Benjamin Franklin once owned a portion of the farm, along with adjoining property during the time he served as ambassador to France.
1723 Vineyards planted their first vines in 2015 and have continued to grow since. The owners, Sarah and Ben Cody, are both 5th generation farmers from the mid-west with a passion for great wine and working with their hands. 1723 Vineyards consist of 7 acres planted on the historic McMaster farm in Landenberg, PA, with an additional 3 acres planted on the historic Ford Farm, both located near the historical village of Kemblesville, right off Route 896. McMaster farm was saved from high density development and has been placed in the Chester County Agricultural Land Preservation program.
Great wine starts in the vineyard. We are focused on producing premium wines from varietals that thrive here in the mid-Atlantic region including Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscat Ottonel. We are so thankful for our friends and family that have supported our efforts to establish 1723.
Come and gather together with family and friends, enjoy the view and sip some Pennsylvania crafted wines.